[lug] PCI Sound cards

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Mon Oct 9 15:09:16 MDT 2000

Hi, everyone.

I just got a new motherboard, CPU, and some more memory for my main
desktop system, and the motherboard is a little short on ISA slots for
my old but still functional devices.  I have a massive ancient ISA
Sound Blaster AWE32, and of the devices that I've got, this is the one
I think should be phased out for replacement.

If anybody's got a decent PCI sound card that works with Linux without
too much trouble, I may be interested in buying it at this Thursday's
BLUG meeting.  Contact me first, so I know who to look for.

What I'm looking for is something that works decent for line in, line
out, microphone, audio out, decent MIDI workings.  Nothing too fancy.

My dream, when I can afford it, is to have a keyboard something along
the lines of a Kurzweil PC88 (though I haven't looked at keyboards in
close to a year, something else might be better now) - good piano
feel, full 8 octaves, excellent piano sound, no frills, and a
connection to a computer.  My suspicion is that it's better to deal
with sound generation and tweakage in the computer, which is cheaper
to upgrade than a keyboard, but that's another rant.  Just looking for
a PCI sound card now.

--
Chris Riddoch
socket at peakpeak.com