[lug] backup across network

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Oct 11 10:48:10 MDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:17:23AM -0600, KELLEY SCOTT T wrote:
>backing up across a network to a Sun tape drive. I try the following
>command as suggested by the manual:
>
>tar cvf - TMP/ | rsh host dd of=/dev/rmt/0

What are the permissions of /dev/rmt/0 and /dev/rmt on the Sun?  What user-id
are you running this as (do "rsh host id" to see).  Make sure that this user
can write to the tape drive, or make it "rsh root at host dd ..." (I think
that's the right syntax, I haven't used rsh in so long).

Sean
--
 The "PEANUTS" gang finds their first root-kit in "YOU'RE AN 3L33T H4CK3R
 NOW, CHARLIE BROWN".