[lug] Trouble installing Debian

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Thu Oct 12 09:29:59 MDT 2000

My understanding now is that I have a Promise Technology card for
an ultra-ATA/66 (IDE) interface, and I need a Linux driver for this
card.  I am told that what I need is on the distribution CDs; the
directory dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/udma66/ contains
three files, viz.:

drivers.tgz
install.bat
linux

but no Readme, so I am a little at a loss.  The drivers tarball includes
an install.sh script and from puzzling over it and install.bat it seems
that the install.bat script is to be run somewhere it can find
dosutils; it will create a boot floppy (?) which will apparently run
the script to install the kernel modules "onto the root filesystem."
[Confusion: I have no root filesystem, yet; does it mean a root filesystem
on the floppy?  But the drivers tarball won't fit on the floppy, etc.]

My question is: how do I use the files above with the installation CDs so
that the installation program can find the hard drive?

Thanks for any help,
Glenn