[lug] rebulding password files

Michael Wegener wegener at zulaware.com
Thu Oct 12 17:22:20 MDT 2000

Well, I just looked there and the username doesn't show. Could be a clue. I had
assumed that the root setting the password of a new user would update it, since
it's encrypted. I guess not. I've been using the SAG method by rote for adding
users by hand, and they don't mention the shadow file at all.

How do I get the shadow file updated?

--M

B O'Fallon wrote:

> Have you looked in the shadow password file and removed the user from there
> also?
>
> B O'Fallon
>
> Michael Wegener wrote:
>
> > How does one go about rebuilding corrupted password files? I have added
> > a new user and set the password from root, but cannot login via telnet
> > using that password, nor can I change the password as that user. The
> > error I get is "Authentication server cannot retrieve authentication
> > data." Oddly, as root, I get no such error. I have removed, obliterated
> > all traces of this user and started over to no avail, nor do I know what
> > caused the problem...
> >
> > --Michael Wegener
> >
> > --------------------- wegener at zulaware.com
> > President