[lug] tape backup error

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Fri Oct 13 13:47:14 MDT 2000

Have you tried the block size option to tar?  I think it's either B or b.
That may help you.

-----Original Message-----
From: KELLEY SCOTT T [mailto:kelleys at ucsu.colorado.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2000 1:44 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: [lug] tape backup error

Can anyone help me with a backup error? I'm trying to restore some files
over a network and I keep getting this "blockstar: tape blocksize error"
I just copied the files using tar and they were created fine, but they
always stall coming back. Any idea how you solve such a problem? It always
seems to happen on a netscape cache file (from different users even).

For example:

.netscape/cache/01/cache39E72E410312339, 14312 bytes, 28 blockstar: tape
blocksize error

More info:

I'm backing up and restoring over a network to a sun tape drive from an
SGI. From my linux box everything went peachy, but not from the SGI. (I
tried two different tapes, so I don't think it is due to a corrupted
tape.)

ssh <host> dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | tar -xvf -

Any help will be very much appreciate since backups are no good if you
cannot restore them.

Thanks! -Scott

Scott T. Kelley, Ph.D.			E-mail: Scott.Kelley at Colorado.edu
Dept. MCD Biology			Phone : 303-735-1808
Campus Box 347				Fax   : 303-492-7744
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO  80309-0347
U.S.A.