[lug] Unix / NT Authentication?

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Tue Oct 17 07:35:28 MDT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Nate Duehr wrote:

>   Getting Linux and Solaris both to authenticate users off an NT domain.

> Well, okay... as one of our guys put it:  "It's one of the 'Holy Grails' of
> IT!  Centralized Authentication of Users!"

A couple options. One is to use NT as the domain controller and use PAM
modules that auth against it. Never seen it in action, but I've heard it's
out there.

Alternately, there is a commercial NIS client for windows (Sun used to
sell one up until 1998 or so called Solstice NFS client - It's since been
EOLed and Sun is recommending a similar product from another vendor). I
will post the URL to the product I know about later today when I get to
work.

-Ian

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,