[lug] Tracing Email Addresses

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Oct 18 13:32:07 MDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:03:09AM -0600, Tkil wrote:
>older uucp system, where there could be lots of hops.)  on a more

Are you saying that UUCP has no place in todays society?

>local net, you will usually just have an internal mail server and
>maybe the gateway mail server.  so, it's rare to have a message with
>more than 4-5 "Received" headers, except maybe when you have a mail
>loop.  :)

Incoming e-mail to me goes to our main mail server, if it's not something
that's handled there (various types of monitoring and forwarding), it
gets forwarded to our public machine at home which is just a relay, that
can reach the private machine at home, where it gets queued up for
transmission via UUCP to my laptop (where it gets another received header).
All this usually happens in under a second if my laptop is connected to
the net anywhere.  Unless it's CDPD, where the wireless transfer takes
a second per kilobyte of the message.

For outbound mail, my laptop queues it up via UUCP, then delivers it over
a VPN to our new main mail box at work, which delivers it directly out.
It used to be the reverse of the above, but outgoing e-mail is easier
to change to the new method than incoming (which would interrupt things
like the Freshmeat Grinder).  One day soon they'll be symetric again.

Every once in a while I get e-mail from somone saying that the clock on my
machine must be way off.  I have to explain that I was in the middle of
nowhere (netwise at least) when I sent it.  Not only do people expect
e-mail to be immediate these days, they can't imagine it being anything
BUT.

Sean
--
 Jackie Trehorn treats objects like women, man...
                 -- _The_Big_Lebowski_