[lug] Invisible files

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Oct 18 17:09:23 MDT 2000

Michael Wegener wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to compile ObjectManager2 for a while now, and have
> gotten stuck on one nettlesome problem: 'make' can't seem to find a
> certain file that is in the same directory of other files it sees and
> uses, and its looking in that particular directory. The message I get
> is:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libwtc8.so needed by
> /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6/lib/libclntsh.so not found (try using
> --rpath)
>
> 'locate' does find the file... What command uses --rpath? What could be
> causing this problem? Is there a special "invisible" file flag that
> linux uses? BTW, the distro is RH6.2

Try a copy, or sym link, of the lib file needed, to /usr/local/lib/, and
be sure file /etc/ld.so.conf has /usr/local/lib in it; or else just name
the directory of the lib file directly in /etc/ld.so.conf. If you are
going to keep the directory that the lib file is in, permanently, I'd be
inclined to sym link it to /usr/local/lib. Then, as root, run
"ldconfig". Try again.