[lug] Analysis of Windows servers.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Oct 22 01:34:27 MDT 2000

Hi Kevin,

I have problems with most of the "statistics" used to rate one OS over the
other for any particular *purpose*, because the purpose is usually left out.

Both OS's do a good job at *what they do*, however, there's no way to
compare apples to apples with this type of number crunching.

I'm a HUGE Linux/BSD/Solaris bigot.  However, I would NEVER use it for many
of the things our IT group needs to provide.  I use it for servers that
handle web applications, DNS, and custom Perl code that does billing and a
number of other things.

If someone came up to me and said we needed file sharing for a large network
of NT laptops and desktops?  You think I'd say "Use Samba"?  No way.  I'd
easily turn your numbers upside down and make Unix the most expensive option
out there for the *job to be done*.  Samba and a couple of inexperienced
admins and you can have a real mess.

NT Server on the appropriate hardware and a good NT guy is going to be a
better choice here, and in that case the Sysadmin is probably cheaper too.

However, if I had a 200,000 message a day list server to put in...

You get my point, I'm sure.

So I think a better metric is to measure a computer OS/system by *WHAT IT
BRINGS IN*.  And guess what?  There are times when a good old fashioned
filing cabinet with paper in it might be a better bang for the buck than
Larry Ellison's latest gee-whiz Oracle whiz bang web-enabled database
server.  Which one has more flash and will probably be purchased by
management...?  Depends on how many brain cells they have and how seriously
they take their responsibility to pick the correct path for the company.

So when measuring OS's, look at what the OS does for you.  If the
application doesn't make the value of the company go *up* every time it's
used, then there's probably a misuse of technology going on.  (Government
and non-profits not included, of course... pure research rarely makes
money.)

Maybe the better idea embedded in these numbers is to look at what systems
are going to require a lot of machines and consider using Unix for those
distributed systems.  If you truly can use less admins at a lower cost and
the *desired result* in the software can be done on Unix, then maybe it's a
good idea.

I dunno, I just like to argue late at night on a Saturday.  :)

Nate