[lug] lightweight linux distributions

Atkinson, Chip CAtkinson at Circadence.com
Tue Oct 24 10:19:23 MDT 2000

Greetings,

I've been trying to install KRUD on an old 486 with a 240M  disk.
Unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble paring it down enough to get it
installed.  I did get RH 5.0 on it once and am now trying to upgrade.  My
idea was to select another smaller distribution, but upon looking at those
available, there are so many that I don't know where to begin.  Does anyone
have a preferred small linux distribution?

I want to use the machine to dial out over modem on one side and forward
traffic to a lan.  I know about the linux router project.  Does anyone have
any opinions about this distribution?  Am I better off spending the time
with KRUD and iterating through until I get it right, or is it better to
spend the time up front to get a smaller distribution (e.g. LRP) going?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chip