[lug] CHAT script and bad password

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Oct 24 17:28:18 MDT 2000

"Stephen G. Smith" wrote:

> I have a chat script that has a problem
> with using the ^ symbol in a password.
> I know the dialup works due to changing
> the password to something else and having
> success. I can recreate the problem by inserting
> an account with a password that includes a ^ .
>
> I am not a programmer but I am guessing
> that the ^ is a reserved character.
>
> Any hints on
>
> A. Why does this happen?
> B. Can I make the script pass the ^ as a legal
>    character?

I am making a guess that this is telling something to alter its
interpretation of the next character, rather than being taken literally.
Many times one can bypass that kind of behavior by prefixing a backslash
'\' before the special character, or quoting the whole thing. E.G., try
these (example is abc^def):
abc\^def
"abc^def"
'abc^def'