[lug] Groupware suggestions

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Oct 26 08:39:41 MDT 2000

HI,
Our company is currently evaluating groupware products and I would love
to get some experience/feedback from members of this group on this
topic.  Currently I am looking at:

**** Teamware Office ****

- Lotus Domino
- Lotus QuickPlace
- GroupWise
- eRoom
- WebBoard
- First Class Intranet Server
- MS Exchange Server

Teamware office is the hottest contender at this time based on cost,
Linux version availability, and functionality.  This product is however
lacking a task list feature.
It seems that all of the real groupware products (this excludes
QuickPlace) have their own e-mail server built-in, which I don't care
for since I have qmail with virus scanning, web client, MailDirs, ...
all set up and am very happy with it.

The features that are important to this project based deployment are:
- Shared Calendar (with resource planning, such as meeting rooms)
- Document Library with versioning, per document or per bookshelf
permissions setting
- Task lists per user with the progress tracking desirable

It seems that most of the highly rated Groupware products are only
available for Windows servers - and after a recent painful NT server
outage I am not very excited about adding another NT server to my micro
server farm.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ferdinand

--