[lug] Limiting bandwidth

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Thu Oct 26 19:32:14 MDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, David Morris wrote:

> OK, last question (for now)
>
> Is there an easy way to limit the bandwidth to a certain IP address,
> or range of IP addresses, using a linux box?  Alternately, is there a
> means to ensure that a specific amount of bandwidth can be guarenteed
> to a specific range of IP addresses?  The goal here is to keep tasks
> such as downloading files from interfeering with the operation of
> certain network applications run over my DSL line.
>
> --David

Are you asking about a general solution for all traffic or for some
kind of throttling mechanism for HTTP-specific stuff?  Are you wanting
to throttle users on your host from hosing the connection with wanton
use of some specific or random Internet resource, or are you worried
about anonymous users out on the Internet accessing some resource on
your host?

In any case, I know about

ip_relay:     http://www.stewart.com.au/ip_relay/
mod_throttle: http://www.snert.com/Software/Throttle/index.shtml

Then, there are hardware-ba$ed $olution$, too.

I haven't actually deployed any of these things.  I have a DSL
connection, and the bottleneck has always been "somewhere out on the
Internet" (actually, a router in Texas seems to show up too often).
All my heavy transfers take place when I'm tucked in bed.

Walter