[lug] Limiting bandwidth

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Oct 27 09:31:42 MDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, David Morris wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been more clear:
>
> I am not at all worried about web traffic.  I have numerous programs
> that use various ports out of my firewall, some of which require a
> certain bandwidth to work properly...my VPN to work, for instance, has
> big problems if it cannot communicate fast enough.  At the moment, I
> simply avoid anything that might cause problems, but it would be nice
> to set asside a certain amount of bandwidth for certain
> programs/ports/IP Addresses and leave the rest for whatever random use
> is needed at the time.
>
> --David

Ah.  So you don't really care about throttling bandwidth.  You really
want to reserve a certain percentage for a known critical app.  Or,
Quality of Service.

http://defiant.coinet.com/iproute2/

This looks like a pretty interesting feature.

Or, if you have critical issues and money to burn:

Run your critical stuff through one DSL connection, and your "other
stuff" through a second connection.  Depending on what you had going,
maybe you could use the cheaper, on-demand kind of DSL setup.

Cisco's modern IOS(es) can rate-limit interfaces.  I *think* the
feature is available in their 2500 series now.

Walter