[lug] RFI Debian vs. Slackware

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Oct 28 21:22:56 MDT 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, B O'Fallon was reputed to have said:

> OK. This post is NOT intended to start a flame-war.

> I am getting of tired of bloated versions that install everything in
> spite of being told not to (no names, but do the initials RH and SUSE
> look familar), and I have been lead to believe that Debian and Slackware

I meant to respond to this msg when I received it but forgot about it for
a while.  Anyway, for the record I have noticed a small peculiarity with
the SuSE install utility YAST.  After choosing a configuration from the
list of available system config's, what seems to happen is that it gets
superimposed upon the default cfg unless you explicitly select the
"replace" button at the bottom of the screen before proceding with the
install.  YAST will then prompt for confirmation to remove the packages
which were "auto-selected" via the default cfg at the YAST
start-up.  Simply answer 'yes' and that should do it.