[lug] noapic option

Ian S. Nelson nelson_ at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 31 17:57:39 MST 2000

Rodger Wilson {I/O Software} wrote:

> I have been having a hell of a time latly getting a few of my scsi
> cards working with linux.  I finally figured out that I need to boot
> linux with the noapic option.
>
> This seems to make linux so that it will boot, but not stable!

Doesn't the APIC route the interrupts to the correct processor in an
SMP system?   Turning off the APIC, whatever that may mean, may have
fundamental problems with SMP.

> I am guessing that this does something with the Priority Interupt
> Controler.  Does anyone know what the real issue that the noapic
> options really deals with, and/or other ways to really fix the
> problemr?

Does it crash  in uniprocessor mode?

Which kernel is this running?

--
Ian S. Nelson                                           __o
Nelson_ at attglobal.net.NOSPAM                            \<,