[lug] OT: capturing network data on Solaris

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Nov 3 10:36:35 MST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 07:30:15PM -0700, Walter Pienciak wrote:
>
> [...]
> > > Sun.  I searched www.sun.com and docs.sun.com for libpcap, netcat, and
> > > ethereal and nothing came up.
> >
> > I'd be amazed if Sun supported netcat or ethereal.
>
> They don't support it, but have a look at:
>
>   http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware.html
>
> It seems like it work for Solaris.
> BTW,  for a low-level approach take a look at:
>
>  http://www.tcpdump.org/
>
> and download libpcap (this is a library for packet capture).
>
>   Ralf

Ah.  My e-mail wasn't so clear, on rereading.  I'd be amazed if Sun
supported those programs officially.  They do run on Solaris.  I don't
remember the details of netcat, but I do remember that ethereal has
always compiled and run for me on Solaris without any tweaking.

ethereal also uses libpcap, and requires gtk too.

Walter