[lug] BLUG administration in 2001

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Nov 3 15:51:18 MST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, D. Stimits wrote:

> > What kind of "simulation" do you have in mind?
>
> Basically any kind of simulation. There is a lot that is
> interchangeable. It can be games, it can be CAD/CAM, it can be numeric
> simulation of weather. Basically modeling and visualization, especially
> if real time.

Last month's presentation was all about how NOAA has built a big
multi-processing super computer for running their weather forecasting
model.

I've done a bit of thermal heat flow modeling for the NIST
microcalorimeter.  I'm not sure how much of this would be of interest?
Originally I did a finite element simulation of one of the structures
using the ANSYS finite element package, but that was not specifically
running under Linux.  I used ran the ANSYS system on one of the NIST
servers.  I only used Linux to give me the X-windows interface so I could
work from my desk.  My most recent "simulation" was of the time dependent
heat flow in the calorimeter using Al's Circuit Simulator
<http://www.geda.seul.org/tools/acs/> running under Linux.  If a
discussion of this work would be of interest I could see about giving a
talk on it?  There isn't a lot of Linux specific content that I could give
in such a presentation though.  You'd learn a lot about the RF power
standard though <grin>.

I'll ask around, I may know some people who have used the Verilog and
Synopsis tools or at least some of their clones for integrated circuit
design.  That might be interesting if I can talk them into a presentation.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)