[lug] BLUG administration in 2001

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 3 17:38:16 MST 2000

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > "Scott A. Herod" wrote:
> > >
> > > Can you be more specific?  I've done some rendering on linux (mainly
> > > to see how far I could push code that I'd developed for high-end SGIs).
> >
> > I'm interested in most display and visualization systems for linux. SGI
> > is actually something that comes to mind when I think of the more
> > interesting things. It's a place where linux is just now becoming much
> > faster and better at. One of my bigger interests is in OpenGL display of
> > any kind of physics simulation.
>
> It looks like you two have now met.
>
> Scott Herod is scheduled to talk about issues related to audio and
> video under Linux at the December 14th meeting.  I've attached a copy of
> his September 21st e-mail to me below:
>
>    "It would be nice to know what people wish to be able to do with audio
>    and video.  The goal of the company that I work for is to produce a
>    software platform that enables television set-top boxes.  We plan to
>    open source everything, so in fact, the more people that know how
>    video/audio works, the better.

I also keep up with the emu10k1 devel list, and am thinking much about
OpenAL and 3D sound (admittedly this part is for games, but it has an
extreme ability to alter perceptions in any simulation). I can see 3D
sound as becoming useful sometime in the next 6 months or so. Mostly it
is a problem that Creative doesn't give out enough information soon
enough for the open source developers.

>    So, is it possible to get some idea what people want to hear about?
>    The title of this email is sound recording, and I guess I can talk
>    about that.  Do people want a run down on support for existing
>    hardware? Do they want to watch TV on their PCs or export video to
>    their televisions or watch DVDs?"
>
> Probably not specifically OpenGL, but there may be something there that
> would interest you.

I'm also interested in adding small animation clips with some programs.
I wouldn't want to write the player from scratch, but would like to know
what is available for playing these clips.