[lug] LILO and Windows Safe Mode

Gary Masters gmasters at dotsplat.org
Sun Nov 5 15:50:52 MST 2000

On Sun Nov 05, 2000 at 03:26:41 -0800, Mike McCallister wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I'm running Corel/Debian and Win98 SE on the same physical hard drive. As per
> usual, Windows is acting strangely and will not completely boot (it loads the
> desktop and as the taskbar is supposed to load, it hangs). Unfortunately, I
> cannot get into safe mode to figure out what's hanging the process up. When
> LILO boots to Windows, it starts the normal Win98 boot process (i.e., the cloud
> screen comes up), and there's no way to get to the boot menu and/or safe mode.
> I've tried using the Win98 startup disk, but that was no help at all (surprise,
> surprise).

I think you hit <F4> just before the cloud (just after selecting Windows
from Lilo) to get a boot menu from which you may select safe mode.
Also, I'd suggest that once you get Windows functioning you install
TweakUI and use it to turn off the cloud so that you can see what the
system is up to while booting windows.

--
  Gary Masters
  KCØHQW