[lug] using sed.

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Mon Nov 6 06:13:05 MST 2000

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 01:43:02PM +0100, Detlef Brendle wrote:
> was das script aber nicht macht ist das original file aendern..
> wie geht das nochmal?

Since this _is_ an american mailing list i'll stick
with _their_ lsnguage ;-)
The '-i' switch tells perl to do the editing 'in place'
as if the scripts standard output would be redirected
to the input file (but of course this is not how it's done).
I _did_ run a small test and it works fine on my box.

[...]

> >  perl -ip .bu -e 's/(blank)/$1.extension/og;' dir/*

BTW (OT):  is this mailed from canoo.com in Basel?
That would be a rather strange coincidence (with this
mail comming from Freiburg).

Ralf