[lug] .shosts and ssh

Rob Riggs rriggs at doubleclick.net
Mon Nov 6 18:14:03 MST 2000

Ferdinand,

I always find it easier to just add the local user's public
key (~/.ssh/identity.pub) to the remote user's authorized
keys file (~/.ssh/authorized_keys). The only real trick is
to make sure that the authorized_keys file is mode 600.

ssh probably requires the same permissions on the ~/.shosts
file. YOu might want to check that. Also, the sshd_config
file may have an "IgnoreRhosts yes" entry, which would also
foil your attempts.

"Ferdinand P. Schmid" wrote:

> HI,
> For some reason I must not see the obvious with this problem:
>
> I am trying to set up a system that would allow scp (secure copy)
> without prompting for a password.  So I set up a ~/.shosts file in the
> user's home directory on the server that contains:
> localMachineName    localUserName
>
> If I understand things right then a user with this user name on a client
> machine should be able to connect to this server for ssh sessions or scp
> transfers without being prompted for a password.  However no matter how
> I turn it I still get a password prompt.  Even if I try this with only
> one machine (server = client).
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> Thanks,
> Ferdinand