[lug] Cylinders and pertitioning

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Nov 10 14:07:39 MST 2000

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 09:59:48AM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
>I'm installing a 20 gig drive that I'd originally used for solaris. The
>drive is set for 2491 cylinders  and I'm trying to get it back to 1024.

Heads are limited to 63, sectors are limited to 255.  255 * 63 * 1024
equals about 8GB.  If you have a hard drive larger than 8GB, you can't
use remapping to make it show up as 1024 cyls or less.  If you need to
boot from it, create a 50MB /boot.  Once the kernel is up, it can handle
a single large partition.

Sean
--
 "The big bad wolf, he learned the rule.  You gotta get hot to play real cool."