[lug] LILO becomes LI...

ljp at llornkcor.com ljp at llornkcor.com
Fri Nov 10 23:27:01 MST 2000

11/11/00 11:29:21 AM, John Starkey <jstarkey at advancecreations.com>
wrote:

>Ok. So I decide to use the RH6.1 CD to install X and several other
things.
>This is the first time I've used it in 6 months. And now I
remember why.

>Two questions:
>
>I reboot and the LILO prompt hangs at "LI". I then reconfig'd and
ran LILO
>to bring it back to the pre-upgrade kernel. Ran mkinitrd. Then
booted back
>to the previous Kernel (2.2.17). I tried re-installing LILO. No
changes.
>Anyone know what may have caused this? Booting from floppy is fine
and it
>will boot to 2.2.17. I looked for stuff on the floppy to copy over
but I
>don't see what would make a difference.

I usually have a pile of old, and ready to boot kernels listed in
lilo.conf, just in case one doesn't work. Check your kernel config,
or maybe some flaky hardware.

>Second question is-- I stopped using RPM because "rpm -i
anything.rpm"
>tells me "anything" is already installed. And rpm -q tells me it
isn't.
>"rpm --rebuilddb" still makes no difference. Is this a common
problem with
>a fix?

What I usually do in that case is rpm -iv --force --nodeps
whatver.rpm
I do this when I KNOW that some dependancy is installed, not
necessarily by rpm, but it's there anyway, and it doesn't actually
check the files, it checks it's database of installed rpm's. One of
my grievences with rpm. Handy, tho.

Occasionally that breaks other stuff I've installed, but not
usually.

LP