[lug] LILO becomes LI...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Nov 11 20:54:29 MST 2000

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 12:27:01PM +0600, ljp at llornkcor.com wrote:
>>I reboot and the LILO prompt hangs at "LI". I then reconfig'd and
>ran LILO
>
>I usually have a pile of old, and ready to boot kernels listed in
>lilo.conf, just in case one doesn't work. Check your kernel config,
>or maybe some flaky hardware.

LI indicates a geometry mis-match with your hard drive.  According to
the lilo documentation:

   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.

Check to make sure the kernel you are trying to boot is on a partion
that exists entirely under 1024 partitions.

Sean
--
 The best defense against predators is to taste bad.