[lug] host lookups

hugh at math.byu.edu hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Nov 14 19:56:04 MST 2000

I am having some trouble with host lookups for stuff on non-routed
networks.

I have /etc/host.conf set with "order hosts bind" and I have hosts in my
/etc/hosts for my 192.168.1.* network.  One of those hosts is juice.
When I do a "host juice" I get a lookup failure.  When I do an exportfs
to hosts in the local subnet then exportfs takes about two minutes to
complete it's job.

It seems that it is taking a while to time  out on the lookups via
internet name servers and then resorts to /etc/hosts.

Can anyone give some guidance?

Hugh