[lug] host lookups

Andrew Diederich andrew at NETdelivery.com
Thu Nov 16 08:11:41 MST 2000

> From: Tkil [mailto:tkil at scrye.com]
>
> hugh> I have /etc/host.conf set with "order hosts bind"
>
> host.conf?  when did nsswitch.conf die?
>
> t.

Hasn't.  I remember /etc/host.conf in my first slackware distro-
maybe 3.0?  In the manpage for host.conf on my SuSE 6.4 box
the first page separator is
Debian/GNU Linux          1997 January 2                        1
and it has info like
NAME
       host.conf - resolver configuration file

DESCRIPTION
       The file /etc/host.conf contains configuration information
       specific to the resolver library.  It should  contain  one
       configuration  keyword  per  line, followed by appropriate
       configuration information.  The  keywords  recognized  are
       order,  trim, multi, nospoof and reorder.  Each keyword is
       described seperately below.

But SuSE doesn't want me to edit it.  'Course, by default SuSE
doesn't want you to edit anything . . .

I even have a host.conf in my KRUD install, so we know it must
be good.

--
Andrew Diederich