[lug] Questions

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Nov 17 14:18:46 MST 2000

MauroMedia wrote:

> The screensaver isn\'t coming on at all. It\'s not an
> OpenGL.
> I\'m running RedHat 7.0 with Helix Gnome.
> When I try to start it from the command line, it tells
> me that there\'s an error and I should read
> /var/log/XFree86 - A file that doesn\'t exist on my
> system.

I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that you are using XFree86 4.x. One
thing that sometimes causes display problems of otherwise valid apps is
if security settings don't allow the item to open in the X display. A
sample is if you run the server as one user, then open the app as
another user that isn't allowed to open it. I'd save that for last.

But since you're using gnome, how did you originally configure the
screensaver? If you open an xterm and run gnomecc (gnome control
center), is the correct screensaver setting listed there? How are you
trying to actually run the screensaver (waiting for it to start, or
testing through a menu or command line, etc)?