[lug] Segmentation Fault.

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Nov 18 10:23:35 MST 2000

John Starkey wrote:

> I'm connecting to postgres (for the first time) via java (1.2.2). I'm
> using a simple code to make my first connections. Just one Query. After
> running the app I rec'd a Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error.
>
> I've seen this only once before and it was recoverable, but this time I
> can't run any of my java apps, they're all returning the same error. Both
> java and javac commands.
>
> I tried reinstalling and rebooting, and I cp'd the file to another
> location on the drive.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's happenin?

It is a memory violation. Not that that tells you much. It could be the
result of many things. One possibility is that you installed a binary
package instead of source, and the binary is looking for libraries to
link with and finding incompatible versions. Or there could be something
that just isn't coded right.