[lug] Segmentation Fault.

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sat Nov 18 10:43:54 MST 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:27:58AM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> I'm sorry. I should have looked closer before replying to your last
> message. I wasn't sure how long you'd be available.
>
> The scenerio has changed a little also. I deleted the postgresql.jar from
> the install and grabbed one off a site I see referenced a lot (can't
> remember the URL, sorry)

If i recall right there are two (icompatible) postgresql java
drivers. You need to use the one that matches your version of
the jdk and your version of postgresql.

> So the error I'm recieving now is an SQLException, Driver not found. the
> URL I'm using is "jdbc:postgresql:javatest".

Which driver do you load? There should be a statement like
'Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");' somewhere in the
source.

> strace is showing /usr/local/pgsql/lib/lib* not found errors. And checking
> that dir I see that yeh, they aren't there. This is a standard 7.0.2
> install. I'm not passing any dir paths to java so it's aware of postgres
> now.

That looks like the default place of the postgres libraries. Did
you compile postgresqlyourself or is this an 'out-of-the-box'
installation?

> One of the lib errors points out libungif.so.4 which is actually in
> /usr/lib. Is there a param I could specify that will change it's root? Or
> one that I need to fix?

You can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to add extra directories to the
dynamic loaders load path (export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/my/dir).
Some postgres programs also check PGLIB for extra places to search for
postgres specific libraries).

 Ralf