[lug] linux tape backup

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Nov 18 21:05:13 MST 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 07:51:20PM -0700, Dan Radom wrote:
>tape.  that seems to work also.  the problem is when i try to view the tape
>contents or restore files from an archive my term just hangs part way

Locks up as in "Stops displaying stuff while it's de-archiving a large file?

>spinning.  while trying to restore i encounter a similar problem.  tar xvf
>/dev/st0 /path/to/restore will just run forever and nothing wil be restored.
>no errors either.  the tape device is a sony sdx-s300c and the box is

Run *FOREVER*?  If you don't specify the /path/to/restore exactly
correctly, it will restre nothing.  What if you don't give a pattern
to restore, and instead just try to restore the entire tape.

Sean
--
 He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
                 -- M. C. Escher