[lug] Recovering using the RedHat CD?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Nov 22 15:06:57 MST 2000

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Slightly embarrassing question:  I've just run sndconfig on a new
> machine that contains some rare sound hardware, and while sndconfig
> reports that it found the hardware and wrote something into
> /etc/conf.modules, the machine now fails to boot.  It freezes while
> initializing sound.  Is there a way to mount the hard drive while
> booting off the RedHat CD?  All I want to do is comment out a
> line in /etc/conf.modules.  If not, I guess I can pull the drive
> out and stick it in another box temporarily.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

You can run on a rescue floppy, then mount the drive as a normal
partition; e.g., if the floppy has dir /mnt/, and your partition with
/etc/ is hda1, you can boot to rescue, then:
mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt

The one with the most compatible hardware is Tom's root boot:
http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html