[lug] RFI -- Making a boot floppy under Slackware

B O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Mon Nov 27 17:09:17 MST 2000

Good old Slackware ...

The rest of the known universe names the command mkbootdisk, but under
Slack, the command is /sbin/makebootdisk.

However, it doesn't matter what it is called, as it doesn't work.

While it does create a boot diskette with vmlinuz on it, my system refuses
to recognize the disk at boot time and skips over it to the hard disk. From
an examination of the one usable boot disk I have, created by Slack at time
of installation, there appear to be several files missing in the /boot
directory on the floppy. These include boot.0200 and map. Copying these onto
the boot disk created with the makebootdisk command has no effect, and the
system still does not recognize the floppy.

Shannon Johnston wrote