[lug] Via Tech. audio cards?

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Tue Nov 28 15:17:43 MST 2000

Hello,

  Does anyone have experience with Via Technologies audio cards?  I've
got a new machine (RH6.2) with what sndconfig reports as Via
Technologies
VT82C686 Apollo Super AC97/Audio hardware.  sndconfig adds lines to
conf.modules saying:

alias sound-slot-0 via86cxxx
options sb support=1

sndconfig then locks up the box when it gets to the point where it
tries to play a sound.  The machine also locks up when booting when
it gets to the point where it tries to load the sound modules.

If I "modprobe -v via86cxxx" it reports that it fails with a "device or
resource busy" when it attempts to call insmod with

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1
dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

/var/log/messages reports:  "sb: dsp reset failed."

The interrupt is not already used, /dev/audio* and /dev/dsp* are owned
by root ( which I am running as when I try to load the modules ).  The
memory locations do not appear to be in use.

Any suggestions?  It is somewhat distressing that at boot-time it
freezes
even if it cannot load the appropriate modules.  Where are the insmod
options for sb.o found if not in /etc/conf.modules?  ( There is no
modules.conf file. )

Thanks,

Scott