[lug] Re: [co-sage] NFS clients for windows

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Tue Nov 28 15:16:10 MST 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, William D. Knoche wrote:

> > Does anyone have an NFS/NIS client package under windows that they really
> > like?

> Well, a shameless plug would be Sun's Solstice Network client. I use
> it at home and like it though there are some things it could do
> better.

Yes, except that that's what we're trying to replace. SNC was EOL'ed
almost 3 years ago and is not compatible with Windows 2000.

I have tried the server-based solutions (SMB, PC Netlink), and they are a
royal pain the keester. I want something that I can use to handle logins
on the windows box via NIS. PC-NFS on the backend is possible, but I'd
rather not.

-Ian

--

"The French language, which the French used to learn very well, did not
exist for the sake of conveying information, for communicating men's

				-- Allan Bloom
				   The Closing of The American Mind