[Re: [Re: [lug] Memory problem]]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Tue Nov 28 17:15:49 MST 2000

I used top as well to look into the problem. It displayed the same info that I
got when running procinfo. The only reason this concerned me was because the
box usually hangs around at about 95megs usage. I haven't seen any performance
drops or abnormal swap usage yet, but I've had problems with a different
machine in the past where the memory got hogged to the point of not being able
to do a single task on the box.

Justin

"John Hernandez" <John.Hernandez at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I use 'top' to get insight into problems like these.  No X required.
> 'M' sorts processes by memory usage (at least on newer versions), hogs
> at the top of the list.  Are you having performance problems?  The
> reason I ask is that it's quite normal for Linux (and OS kernels in
> general) to find equilibrium at a point where most of the physical RAM
> is used.  Excessive paging/swapping is really what hurts performance.
> On my perfectly responsive and fairly happy box (running two typical
> bloated offenders), I see:
>
> Mem:   128204K av,  125580K used,    2624K free,   62548K shrd,    2796K
> buff
> Swap:  265032K av,   29948K used,  235084K free                   18380K
> cached
>
>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME
> COMMAND
>  8643 me         2   0 82140  54M  6028 S       0  0.0 43.7  11:10
> netscape-com
>  8576 root       9   0 52412  49M  2700 S       0  0.0 39.6   6:30 X
>
> Anyone running Netscape 6 (full blown Communicator) or a recent Mozilla
> on a 2.2 kernel?  How do they behave, particularly wrt memory footprint?
>
> Justin wrote:
> >
> > Hrmm, that could be the problem, and it was just a couple weeks ago since
the
> > counterstrike 1.0 server release. I can test it by rebooting the box once
more
> > to clear the memory and I just won't run the CS server for a while and
see
> > what happens. Thanks.
> >
> > Justin
> >
> > Shannon Johnston <nunar at iws.net> wrote:
> > > I noticed you're running CounterStrike. According to the hlds_l mailing
> > > list, the newer version of the hlds_l has a pretty severe memory leak.
> > > It's behaving a lot like you're describing. (lots of mem usage with no
> > > obvious casue.)
> > >
> > > Shannon Johnston

> > had
> > Using