[lug] file not found/incompatibility problem(s)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Nov 29 17:07:14 MST 2000

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:07:34AM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 09:25:24AM -0700, Jim Buzbee wrote:
> >
> > Probably an a.out vs. an elf issue (say that fast three times...).
>
> Actually, an incompatibility in glibc.
>
> We haven't shipped an a.out XVScan since 1995
>
> Evelyn Mitchell
> efm at tummy.com

Or more accurately an incompatibility in an Alpha version of  GCC that
RedHat was scolded for shipping and the one the rest of the world is
running?

Lovely mess that made of RPM also -- it was already hard enough to find
RPM's that matched your system, now it's enforcing rules about version
numbers and people are confused... well, many of us aren't, but a number
of newbie friends trying to play with RedHat (because of the name and
because it's avail in stores) are completely confused as to why various
RPM's don't work.

I wonder how many more times they'll have to break things before I can
get the folks at work convinced to just put the production machines on
Debian and forget all about RedHat.  I already have one of the worst
distributed messes ever coming up when/if we finally decide to switch to
7.x (whenever that is) because I'll have to completely redeploy some 30
machines.  (The upgrade from 6.x to 7.x breaks too much stuff, IMHO.  Or
has the potential to.)

Sorry, had to rant.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>