[lug] Warning about RTENet.com

Sean Reifschneider jafo-lug at tummy.com
Thu Nov 30 23:41:19 MST 2000

Apparently RTENet.com is some sort of ISP in Colorado (down by Castle Rock
it seems).  I've just received over 800 e-mail messages from one of the
domains they host over they last hour.  I got ahold of somone there and
they said there wasn't anything they could do because they're not right
by the servers right now.  Glad to seethe RTENet folks are right on top
of it.

Seems like they're doing that "send mail to a bunch of possible account
names at various domain names hoping that you hit some accounts that
otherwise don't get any spam.  Unfortunately, they're using a bunch of
different relays so I can't just block the host that's sending it.  I
think I've finally got them all blocked though.  They're using randomly
generated names at random but valid domains as the from address.

Anyway, if anyone wants to get service through a place that doesn't care
that they've got a big target on their site for getting a serious denial
of service attack done against them if it's out of business hours, use
RTENet.  If, however, you want service from a comany that is likely to
actually deal with things in a timely manner, try going anywhere else.

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 When the law supports you, pound the law.  When the facts support you, pound
 the facts.  If neither, pound the table.  Bush supporters are rioting...