[lug] Warning about RTENet.com

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Sun Dec 3 22:46:44 MST 2000

>Have you checked the video of the demonstrations, they're available on the
>net...

I've seen them, and they're definitely not peaceful, and very intimidating.
Now, if those counties would have used an electronic form of voting, some
kind of kiosk or private network, (of course, running the latest linux
kernel, and some gnu software - gotta tie in linux somewhere here), none of
this would have happened. Or maybe it would have, but we would have never
known about it, I dunno. I heard Mr. Putin, of Russia, said "We can send in
some observers"... just goes to show you- question authority. I think this
whole thing is going to cause a lot of counties around the country to move
to electronic voting. At least the wealthy counties. Probably not internet
voting, as some would have it. But a secure, private form. Which begs the
question, is a private network, using phone lines, secure? Or would the
transfer of data, be physical?
I think this is the first time I have heard of a politician (at least here
in the US) suing to NOT count votes. I think its funny, Canada had an
election, using old fashioned, paper ballots marked by an 'X' with a
pencil, HAND counted ALL of the ballots, in 24 hours (or so).
Now, someone working on embedded linux systems, should develop an
electronic voting system, or we should all start using paper/pencil ballots.

my 2 cents...

ljp