[lug] Post Script to PCL

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Dec 4 23:27:47 MST 2000

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 11:08:16PM -0700, Tkil wrote:
>PCL is a dumb dumb dumb page description language.  it can do pattern
>fills and maybe rules, and that's mostly it.  (PCL5+ might have added
>some things, but it's still a very far cry from PostScript.)

Yeah, remember that PCL was designed what, back in the '70s.  I first
used it in about '84...  The computers of that day didn't have the
huevos to do Postscript, the printers certainly didn't...  The first
Postscript printer I remember being commercially available had more
CPU and RAM than most of the computers it was hooked to.

So, so 1-to-1 conversion is really available.  Postscript is a
pretty rich language and can do a lot of stuff (I once let a printer
run all night generating a fractal dragon from a few pages of Postscript
code).

The question is, why do you want to avoid ghostscript?  It has several
back-ends which produce PCL -- given the right incantations it will
write it out to a file for you.  Works great.

Sean
--
 I never thought I would live in a country which had a
 self-declared president.