[lug] Post Script to PCL

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Dec 5 11:03:20 MST 2000

This brings up the old issue of color mixing on inkjet printers.  The
output from Ghostscript on my HP deskjet isn't great by any means because
the colors don't look good.  The HP windows printer driver does a pretty
good job with converting the output to PCL for this particular printer.
Epson sells a postscript interpreter+driver (RIP driver) for some of their
inkjets that works pretty well (they license Adobe's Postscript
interpreter).  Again - only for Windows.  Sometimes you are stuck with
printing postscript, e.g. when printing from graphics applications like
Quark Express.  Quark's PCL support is marginal at best.

So it would be time for some of the printer manufacturers to offer decent
Linux drivers so that Ghostscript can really shine or be replaced.  I am
assuming this quest for a PS2PCL converter is at least in part driven by
the search for better quality output on low end printers.

Ferdinand