[lug] Network time

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 5 14:47:56 MST 2000

The rdate client works pretty well, and I think it is included with most
Linux distros.

For a daily synch at 11pm, make a root cron job:

* 23 * * * /usr/bin/rdate -s [server]

On the server side, you would uncomment "time" in /etc/inetd.conf and
SIGHUP inetd.

John Karns wrote:

> I'm interested in a *simple* method (if there is such a class in the world
> of *nix) to set the clock of a dial-up machine via the net.  The method
> proposed here in a recent thread ("ntpdate time-nw.nist.gov") would do
> fine for this part.
>
> Then I would like to propagate this time to various other Linux boxes on a
> *small* net.  I don't need all the complexity of ntp, which seems to be
> about as involved as setting up DNS (lord help us!).  I really don't care
> if my clocks are set to the precision of a cesium clock, and it's not a
> big deal if there is are a few seconds difference between various
> machines.
>
> Is there a way of doing this without setting up an ntp server on my local
> net?

John Hernandez, Network Engineer --------------------------------------
US Department of Commerce                             tel: 303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax: 303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail: John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303                               http://boulder.noaa.gov