[lug] [application] Debian-based Microship (fwd)

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Dec 5 16:30:28 MST 2000

Just thought everyone might like to see this, especially since Bdale floats
'round these (Colorado) parts.  :-)

Debian Project                                    http://www.debian.org/
Debian-based Microship                                  press at debian.org
December 4, 2000

[ This post was written by "Steven K. Roberts" <wordy at microship.com>.
  And what do YOU use your Debian machine for? :]

Just thought I'd let you know that the Microship is Debian-based,
thanks largely to Bdale Garbee's excellent help with doing an install
on an Octagon PC-500 embedded industrial PC board that was our first
choice for the boatlet's big iron.  This board, still speaking
Debian, is now part of the WANDER wireless data collection system
we're spinning off for the NSF; we're currently evaluating the
power-management trade-offs of building our micro-trimaran systems
around the new Octagon PC-680 (with Tillamook CPU) or a suitable
laptop that is already optimized for miserly current consumption but
thinner on raw I/O and human-scale connectors.  In either case, we'll
add VMWARE for the off-the-shelf navigation apps, use Squeak and a
browser for the front end, and build all our real-time databases
(from about 50 streaming telemetry channels) in MySQL with various
Perl tools munging the data streams.  This machine sits atop a
diverse network of embedded devices, including audio, video, and
serial crossbar switches to allow random interconnections among
resources... and talks to the Net via Globalstar satellite phone and
packet radio.

Ongoing information about the project is at http://www.microship.com,
and we'll be hosting all our software development on Sourceforge.

Cheers from Camano Island, Washington!
Steve

--
Steven K. Roberts, N4RVE        Nomadic Research Labs
New Microship Website:  	http://www.microship.com

Activities of the moment (updated 12/3/00 23:00):  New Microship
network drawing, console internals layout, and pondering a few
head-scratchers on core linux server power management...

Current photos are at http://www.microship.com/latestnews/images/images.html

--
Michael J. Hammel           |  I can please only one person per day.  Today is
The Graphics Muse           |  not your day.  Tomorrow's not looking good