[lug] rio500 module support

C Menzes charles at lunarmedia.net
Wed Dec 6 12:37:25 MST 2000

i am running RH7 on my laptop using the out of the box kernel 2.2.16-22.
when i run make menuconfig from /usr/src/linux, i see under the USB
devices section, a module available for rio500(experimental).

i recently added source for the 2.4.0-test11 kernel to /usr/src. i changed
my symlink for linux to point to this dir. i ran make menuconfig and found
that although there was a section for USB support, there was no module
option for rio500.

i upgraded my modutils package to 2.3.21, and downloaded the
rio500-linux-drivers tarball. i compiled and ran install. i received:

mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/usb
install -c rio500.o /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/usb
/sbin/depmod -a 2.4.0-test11
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/usb/rio500.o

sure enough, the usb dir was added to the 2.4.0 modules directory, and
there appears to be a rio500.o file. i'm not clear though on how to use
insmod to load this module. i'm also uncertain as to what the "Unresolved
symbols" means.

is there a manner to compile this such that it appears as a modular option
in make menuconfig? if not, how can i use insmod to make sure that this
will be loaded.

currently, the only module being loaded is for my sound card:

[~/rio500-linux-driver] Yes, my master? >lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
maestro                27772   0

i can access my rio fine from 2.2.16, but its a no go from 2.4.0
i can't live like this :)

thanks!
-cjm