[lug] rio500 module support

C Menzes charles at lunarmedia.net
Wed Dec 6 15:29:43 MST 2000

> Does depmod -a give any other unknown symbols if you have that module
> temporarily moved out of the /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/ area?

	the only unresolved symbol that depmod gives me is:

	[~] Yes, my master? >sudo depmod -a
	depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
	/lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o

	which will probably lead to another posting :)

> If other modules do not do this, then it is extremely likely that the
> module either was not compiled against this kernel (2.4.0-test11), or it
> is using functions that are not supported in this kernel (some
> interfaces have been removed or modified in 2.4.x versus 2.2.x). If you
> have the source to the module, you could recompile the module. I assume
> that since your install of 2.4.x you haven't cleaned or removed the
> configuration of the 2.4.0-test11, so you could be guaranteed that it
> isn't a mismatch of kernel configuration versus compilation of the
> module.

	i am not sure what you mean by 'cleaned or removed the
	configuration of the 2.4.0-test11'
	with each recompile of the kernel, i

	mv /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11 /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11.old

	however, when i do this the rio500.o file gets moved along
	with it. when i issue make modules_install, the rio500.o file
	doesnt get recreated in the new /lib/modules/2.4.0-test11.

	i am guesssing that my poor understanding of modules is starting
	to show, because I am very lost at this point.

	thanks for all your help. -cjm