[lug] rio500 module support

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Dec 6 18:26:26 MST 2000

C Menzes wrote:

> > I'm not certain, but I think the apm symbol is the power management
> > module, such as used for UPS or battery operated units. Can you check if
> > this feature is enabled in both your older and newer kernel?
> >

>         I'm positive that apm is power management. Its enabled in the
>         2.2.16 kernel and seems to be running just fine. Under 2.4.0,
>         i have:
>
>                 General Setup->
>               <M>   Advanced Power Management BIOS support
>                 [*]     Ignore USER SUSPEND
>                 [*]     Enable PM at boot time
>                 [*]     Make CPU Idle calls when idle
>                 [*]     Enable console blanking using APM
>                 [*]     RTC stores time in GMT
>                 [*]     Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls
>                 [*]     Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off
>

> > Then you are not compiling the rio module with that kernel. Apparently
> > the make menuconfig is either not checked to include this, or whatever
> > your source compile method is, it isn't being compiled after the new
> > kernel.
> >

>         Yes, i agree. However I am not certain how exactly to do so.
>         I was hoping that there was a patch for the kernel that would
>         include this support, but apparently not.

Create a fresh directory, probably somewhere you can save this
permanently since you will use it with the next kernel compile. Probably
something like /usr/src/modules/rio500/. Unpack the newer version which
is 0.7 (this looks like it supports 2.3.x kernels which is basically a
2.4.x pre), do a ./configure, then make and make install. Be certain
before doing this that /usr/src/linux/ is pointed at your 2.4.0 source
first. After the make install it should have the module in the
/lib/modules/...version.../ directory. Before you do this make sure the
old one is gone from the 2.4.0 pre module directory. It should then work
right (famous last words) with a depmod -a, unless it is incompatible
with 2.4.x.

> > Modules should be recompiled after a kernel compile because the
> > interfaces may have changed, or the offset of those interfaces. It
> > appears that your rio is causing the system to look for the apm
> > symbol/interface, but it can't find it; it then exits. The fact that the
> > module does not install with make modules_install most likely means the
> > particular kernel was never configured to create the module (either
> > because it wasn't set up before kernel compile, or because it doesn't
> > have it). You can compile and install modules separately, but they
> > always read and refer to the current kernel found in /usr/src/linux/,
> > and the source in that directory absolutely must have options configured
> > to match the kernel that will be run when the module is in use. Where
> > did you get the rio module source? Was it part of the old kernel, or
> > downloaded elsewhere?
> >

>         i downloaded this from http://download.sourceforge.net/rio500/
>         its the rio500-0.6.tar.gz file.

Go for the 0.7 version.