[lug] linux process supervision

Brad Doctor bdoctor at ps-ax.com
Thu Dec 7 16:24:09 MST 2000

Inetd starts processes upon request.  Itself is an always-running daemon,
however the processes is spawns are meant to close upon exit (socket
closes, process finishes, etc.).  I'd think that your always-running
processes are doing something to themselves and running out of resources,
seg fault, etc.  I'd look more closely at your code before exploring
external solutions to prop them up.

During your development and testing, print everything, log everything -
there may be something simple you are missing that is causing it to die :)

Doing the respawn trick is potentially dangerous as it will literally
respawn the process as many times as it takes.  And if you programs load
the system when they start, you could have an ugly situation on hand.  I'd
avoid this route to be safe..

-brad