[lug] rpm and temp files

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Dec 11 01:36:13 MST 2000

In order to get some rpm packages to accept my version of rpm, I had to
upgrade from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 (I asked about this on the list earlier), on
my basic RH 6.2 machine. It isn't unusual now that packages give me a
message similar to this one, from the apache-ssl source rpm rebuild:
<=== [config]
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/apache_1.3.12'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/apache_1.3.12'
+ rm /var/tmp/apache-ssl/home/httpsd/sbin/httpsdctl
rm: cannot remove `/var/tmp/apache-ssl/home/httpsd/sbin/httpsdctl': No
such file or directory
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.90381 (%install)

Basically it is trying to work with a temp directory that doesn't exist
(it was run as root so I know it had permission to create). Earlier on I
found this one clue, which is probably unrelated:
mkdir /var/tmp/apache-ssl/var/spool/proxy
chown nobody /var/tmp/apache-ssl/var/spool/proxy
chgrp #-1 /var/tmp/apache-ssl/var/spool/proxy
chgrp: invalid group name `#-1'
make[2]: [install-mktree] Error 1 (ignored)

I can't seem to find any means to force it to continue despite the
inability of removing a temp file, that probably does not matter. Does
anyone have any rpm magic or suggestions for this? Probably I will just
do a RH 7 install and give up on 6.2's rpm.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com