[lug] Linux Laptop question

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Dec 12 08:15:22 MST 2000

Greg,
Did you try ctrl-alt-backspace to kill your X server?  This should bring you
back to a text terminal.

I would also take a look at the /etc/X11/xf86config file.  You may want to
remove configuration entries that you don't use.  I can't imagine though why it
would work one time and not the next time.  Could it be that you have a
hardware problem - or that your linux configuration leaves your system in a
strange state when you shut down?  Did you try to shut down from a text
terminal rather than from X?  The command init 3 given as root should get you
back to runlevel 3 (text based) if you are running a graphical login and then
you could shut down from there.

Ferdinand