[lug] rpm and temp files

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Dec 12 12:49:44 MST 2000

Pete Krawczyk wrote:

> D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if there is a simple way in "rpm --rebuild" to tell
> > it to use rm -f instead of just rm?
>
> You could either try to re-alias rm for rpm:
>    alias rm "rm -f" # not wise :-)
> or you could put a dir in your path,
>    export PATH=`pwd`:$PATH
> create your own rm,
>    echo '#!/bin/sh' > rm
>    echo '/bin/rm -f $*' >> rm
>    chmod +x rm
> and re-run rpm.
>
> I'm not guaranteeing either of these will work, but those would be my
> avenues.  Remember, rpm just takes the specfile and runs the commands
> therein.  And most specfiles I've seen don't specifically set the paths to
> the commands they run unless they have to.
>
> -Pete K
> --
> Pete Krawczyk
>    UNIX/RDBMS Administrator
>    Absolute Performance
>    pak at unixdba.com

Since I've run into several rpms like this recently (mainly RH 7
.src.rpm's that don't like 6.2), I should probably learn how to
manipulate the spec file. One especially annoying problem is that the
source files tend to demand glibc from RH 7, and don't like the most
recent of 6.2; in a source rpm, this should not matter that there are
minor version differences (despite the object format differences in RH
7's glibc, recompile does not depend on that). Do most people here edit
rpm's by hand, with rpm command line?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com